Benefits for those over Retirement Age:-

Attendance Allowance

This is a non-means tested benefit that is payable to those who may struggle or need help with their personal care.  This could be due to a physical or mental illness or disability.

So if you, or someone you care for, or a family member is finding everyday tasks more difficult than they used to then you/they could well be eligible for Attendance Allowance.

How can I qualify for Attendance Allowance?

- you need to be over State Pension Age (if you are under State Pension Age you may be able to Claim Personal Independence Payment)


- your illness or disability means that you need help or you struggle with your personal care.  This would include, but is not limited to, things like getting into and out of bed, getting washed and dressed, or needing to be supervised to keep you safe during the day or the night or both.


-  you must have needed the help for at least six months or longer (if you have a terminal illness this does not apply and you can make a claim immediately you receive a diagnosis)

Attendance Allowance is not taxable nor is it means tested.

If you have had an illness or disability prior to reaching State Pension Age and are claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) you will continue with these payments after you have reached State Pension Age.

How can I apply for Attendance Allowance?

If you would like to contact the office on 023 80841199 and chat to Jane, our Information and Advice Manager she will chat to you to see if she feels you could qualify, and will then issue a form and make an appointment to help you to complete the application form.

The appointment can take around 1 1/2 to 2 hours to complete, and we do ask that you visit the office for this appointment.

Why is the appointment so long?

We need to be sure that we are getting the full facts from you about all the help and support you need on a daily basis.  If you want to you are more than welcome to bring along a member of your family or a friend for support if you would like to.   If you prefer we can in some cases complete the form with a family member or a person who is aware of your needs if this would be easier for you.  We would of course need your consent for this.

Supporting local older people, their families, friends and carers                                                    
Community Web Kit provided free by BT